The Auxiliary to the Veterans of Foreign Wars was founded in 1914 to help veterans and their families. On November 18th, 1931 the Dode Morris Ladies Auxiliary of Post 1760 Charter was established. The Auxiliary is an integral part of the VFW and supports a host of programs which pursue issues of national importance to veterans. These programs are designed to preserve veterans rights, advocate a strong national defense, promote patriotism and offer community service.
Like the VFW, the Auxiliary embodies the spirit of America that has prevailed through war and peace. While continuing to support the VFW and its causes, the Auxiliary has developed a social conscience of its own. With the collective goal with the VFW of helping families in distress, the Auxiliary members perform community service, fund cancer research, fight drug abuse and illiteracy, advocate for the rights of the elderly, and support the VFW National Home, Special Olympics, and other worthy causes.
Today, the Auxiliary continues to be involved in a wide range of activities. One of the most important programs the Auxiliary established was donating over $3 million annually towards cancer aid and research. All proceeds are 100% with no overhead. The Auxiliary has programs for veterans, their families, young people and the community at large. Many programs have been expanded and now are commonly accepted institutions within the community and nation. Although these programs are run locally, they are also a part of a larger nationwide effort, administered through the VFW Auxiliary National Headquarters. So deeply ingrained are such programs that the subtle guiding hand of the Auxiliary is often not seen or recognized.
Auxiliary VFW Objectives:
- Provide assistance to the VFW Post and its members whenever possible
- Provide assistance to the Auxiliary members whenever possible
- Maintain true allegiance to the Government of the United States of America
- Maintain fidelity to the Constitution and Laws of the United States of America
- Foster true Patriotism
- Maintain and extend the Institutions of American Freedom, Equal Rights and Justice to all men and women
- Preserve and Defend the United States of America from all her enemies whomsoever
The Auxiliary to the VFW Post 1760 has a current enrollment of members, and continues to grow. Membership is open to all those that qualify.
Membership in the Ladies Auxiliary shall include persons who were/are eligible for membership in the VFW (regardless of membership status). Member applicants must be at least 16 years of age and must be citizens of the United States. They can be:
- Foster and Stepmothers (who have performed the duties of a parent)
- Foster and Stepdaughters (who attained that status prior to the age of sixteen and for whom the duties of parent were performed)
- Sisters, Half-sisters, foster and Stepsisters (who attained that staus prior to the age of sixteen)
*Women eligible for membership in the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States shall be eligible for dual membership in the Ladies Auxiliary.
For more detailed information, visit the Ladies Auxiliary National website.
To apply for membership with the Ladies Auxiliary to the VFW Post 1760
- Online form here
- Provide annual membership fee of $20
- Submit in person to the Post 1760 building, or postal mail:
65 S MacDonald
Mesa, AZ 85210